Chicken, Carrot, Kale & Pesto Soup
(in a Crock Pot)
A few of my favorite ingredients, in this warm bowl is not only healthy and full of nutrients, but warm enough for my soul. This soup is easy enough to make in the crock pot after work and have ready for dinner.
– 4 cups chicken broth (I went ahead and made my stock from scratch, see at the end.)
– 1 cup carrot, sliced
– 1 ½ teaspoons of dried thyme
– 6 ounces of kale, coarsely chopped
– 2 chicken breasts, cooked, chopped
– 1 can cannelloni beans or great northern beans, rinsed
– 1/3 cup pesto
– Salt and pepper
Add carrots to chicken stock and turn crock pot to high. Allow to cook until carrots are tender (about 1 hour.)
Add thyme, kale, and cannelloni beans. Cook for about 30 minutes until kale is tender.
Add chopped chicken, and salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon soup into bowls, top with a spoonful of pesto. Stir through.
Original Recipe: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chicken_spinach_pesto_soup.html
To make your stock: Add bones, carrots, celery, salt (boullion), and herbs. Allow to boil. Or use this link: