Tomato and White Bean Soup with Pesto
Tomato soup is such a traditional dish, that I love this slight variation of it. The pesto can be adjusted for each dinner guest’s preference. Serve with a grilled cheese.
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 large yellow onion, chopped
· 2 medium carrots, chopped
· 3 cloves garlic, quartered
· 1/2 cup dry white wine
· 1 quart low-sodium chicken stock
· 2 cups canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
· 2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
· 2 bay leaves
· Salt to taste
· 4-6 tablespoons prepared pesto
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add stock, beans, tomatoes, bay leaves and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
In blender or using a hand-blender, carefully puree soup. (If you want to make it creamier, but a little less healthy, add some cream or half-and-half here.)
Divide soup among bowls, dollop each with pesto, and swirl in; serve with a grilled cheese.
Original Recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tomato-White-Bean-Soup-with-Pesto-395097