|Anderson, enjoying his calzone!|
This summer, while visiting my nephews in Seattle, we brainstormed the idea of making stuffed bread. First, they hadn’t made bread at this point in the week, and second, they were trying to think of any excuse to eat tons of olives in their meal! So as we approached the date to make it, my 7 year old nephew, Hunter, of course wanted something completely different than my 9 year old nephew, Anderson. BUT, the solution was easy! Why my one, large, stuffed bread, when we could make 4, individualized, stuffed pizzas. (We didn’t want to leave my sister out.) Of course, they did make to make sure to pick at least 1 vegetable to go inside and have a side salad.
When it’s a Friday night, and the kids are antsy, get them up and involved. You’ll see here how they were involved almost the entire way as great chefs/helpers!
Ingredients: (vary according to your family’s taste)
- 1-2 packages store-bought refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, plus extra for topping
- 4 ounces pepperoni slices
- Olives, sliced
- Pizza Sauce (for inside or dipping)
- (We used some meatballs from my Turkey and Pork Meatball recipe)
Using only half of the dough in front of them, allow each person to top their own calzone with their topping choices.