I have been wanting to make this dish for a while, but with the labor it does take, I needed the time and a reason. I found the perfect opportunity when I went to visit my dad, and had my nephews to help me out. Plus, mom had left some phyllo dough in the freezer that needed to be used!.
I have to admit though, my dough was a little older and I couldn’t make the triangles. I am not sure which would have taken more time; buttering each layer, or folding all the triangles!
It was a great hit. Everyone got a delicious and warm appetizer, and I froze the other half for dad to serve if he ever had guests.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups feta, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 10 (17- by 12-inch) phyllo sheets, thawed if frozen
- Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant and golden brown. Add the drained spinach and nutmeg and saute for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mix the feta, lemon juice, pepper, and egg. Allow filling to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt remaining 1 stick butter in a small saucepan or microwave, then cool towards room temp/melted still.
- Cover phyllo stack with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap and then a dampened kitchen towel.
- In a 13×9 baking dish, Take 1 phyllo sheet from stack and arrange on a work surface with a long side nearest you (keeping remaining sheets covered) and brush with some butter. Top with another phyllo sheet and brush with more butter. Repeat until about 1/3-1/2 of phyllo used.
- Spread the cooled spinach in a layer across the baking sheet. Continue to repeat the phyllo/butter layers until done.
- Bake 13×9 baking dish in middle of oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool slightly.
Pastry can be formed, but not baked, 3 days ahead. Arrange in in heavy-duty sealed plastic bags, then freeze. Bake frozen pastry(do not thaw) in same manner as above.