Healthy, light, and easy recipe? We are in for that! This dish was made to lighten up a Sunday dinner with a friend. I was able to throw most things into the Instant pot, then socialize (with a crispy, white wine.) The only real effort at the end is pureeing the soup and serving it up.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tart apple, cored and diced
- 1 medium (uncooked) butternut squash
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of curry powder
- 1 cup canned (unsweetened) coconut milk
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- optional garnishes: extra coconut milk, fresh thyme
Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic, sage and thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, apple, butternut squash, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, curry and nutmeg . Toss to combine.
Pressure cook for 8 minutes. Use quick release when cooked.
Remove and discard the sage and thyme. Stir in the coconut milk.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. (Or you can transfer the soup in two batches into a traditional blender, and puree until smooth, being very careful when working with the hot liquid.) Taste, and season with additional salt, pepper, curry, and cayenne if needed.
Serve warm, with bacon and optional garnishes.