Oven-Fried Green Tomato
and Pimento Cheese Sandwich
I’m not going to lie and say something about this being “healthy”, because let’s face it: If anything resembles a BLT, it’s not going in the diet section in food descriptions. I figured it would be better to take one small part of this dish though and lighten it up. It is good to know all the health benefits of Green Tomatoes!
I made this recipe for my girlfriend, Lisa. After a girls’ night when a good southern girl brought @Palmetto Brand Pimento Cheese, she became addicted to all pimento cheese. We started to have it every week when we got together, and have definitely completed an array of taste tests; Palmetto, Ruth’s, Three Sisters, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and homemade.
This was our favorite brand, but recently I found the Bacon Pimento Cheese, and I have to say, it’s phenomenal!!! If you ever see it, you have to buy it (or get it shipped. Palmetto Cheese – The Pimento Cheese Company )
So go out, stay out too late, and make this sandwich the next morning. (We certainly loved it for Sunday brunch.)
(of course, feel free to eat any extra pimento cheese. yummmmm!)
Oven Fried Green Tomatoes:
If you want to just make these tomatoes, they are delicious on their own.
2 large firm green tomatoes (Backyard Produce)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, more for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1. Slice tomatoes 1/8 inch thick.
2. On a large plate mix flour, salt, and pepper. Place beaten eggs on a second plate and Panko Bread Crumbs on a third plate. Coat tomatoes with the flour mixture, then the egg, then the Panko Bread Crumbs.
3. Place coated tomatoes on a cookie sheet and spray with Cooking Spray on both sides. (I used the Misto so I knew what oil was going on my tomatoes.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes on one side then flip them over and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with extra salt and serve warm.
(Note: Bake Biscuits at the same time. I’ll admit: These are Grands from the freezer. shh.)
4 Bacon slices, cooked
1 tub Pimento Cheese
Spread cheese on the inside of biscuit, layer with bacon and fried green tomato.