Homemade White Pizza
(with homemade whole wheat dough)
This recipe was something fun that we created for another cooking club. I loved making the dough from scratch, and it was so easy! This is an interesting variation and that can be adjusted to add any toppings that you love.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- homemade whole wheat pizza dough (see below)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 20 oz. frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 450°F. Brush 13×9-inch metal baking pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic in small bowl.
- Roll out pizza dough on lightly floured work surface to 14×10-inch rectangle. Transfer dough to prepared pan; brush lightly with some of garlic oil.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and goat cheese, leaving 1/2-inch plain border. Crumble ricotta cheese over, then add spinach. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake pizza until crust is golden brown and cheese melts, about 18 minutes.
- Drizzle remaining garlic-oil over pizza. Let stand 3 minutes. Do ahead Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Before continuing, rewarm in 350°F oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
· 3/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
· 1 envelope active dry yeast
· 2 cups (or more) whole wheat flour
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· 3/4 teaspoon salt
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
Pour 3/4 cup warm water into small bowl; stir in yeast. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.
Brush large bowl lightly with olive oil. Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt in processor.
Add yeast mixture and 3 tablespoons oil; process until dough forms a sticky ball.
Transfer to lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is very sticky, about 1 minute.
Transfer to prepared bowl; turn dough in bowl to coat with oil.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
Punch down dough.
(If you want to make ahead- Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.)
Roll out dough according to recipe instructions. (Start in center of dough, working outward toward edges but not rolling over them.)