My nephews and I were together again for “Aunt Kate Cooking Camp”, so I knew meatballs were in order. Granted, they love making them usually, but were hesitant about not including the meat. (The oldest doesn’t eat beef currently though due to environmental reasons, so that puts a bit of a wrench in the plans.)
This is a Skinny Taste recipe that I really didn’t change much, so here is the direct link to the original recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/zucchini-meatballs_20/
1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 lbs unpeeled zucchini, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- shredded mozzarella, for serving (optional)
|Used food processor to prep!|
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Line a large jelly roll with non-stick tin foil.
- Place the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add the garlic and saute until golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until all the water evaporates from the skillet, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander to get rid of any excess water, then to a large bowl along with the bread crumbs, beaten egg, parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 16 balls about 1 oz each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the sauce in a large deep skillet to warm the sauce, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top will shredded mozzarella and broil to melt cheese.
- Serve warm.